Easier travel to mainland for non-Chinese residents of HK, Macau

Content Img

Starting July 10, non-Chinese permanent residents of HK and Macau will be eligible to apply for special travel permits to enter the mainland, according to the National Immigration Administration.

According to the basic laws of the two regions, permanent residents of Hong Kong and Macau include both Chinese and non-Chinese nationals.

Holders of these documents will be allowed multiple entries into the mainland within a five-year validity period, with each stay not exceeding 90 days. After completing procedures such as fingerprint collection, the holders can enter through the express clearance channel, according to the administration.

However, if non-Chinese holders intend to work, study, or engage in news reporting activities on the mainland, they should apply for visas or residence permits in accordance with the law.

The administration said that it will continue to improve immigration management services to support the development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area, and promote the integration of Hong Kong and Macau into the country's overall development.

Q: Can the Permit holders work in the mainland? 

A: No. The Permit is issued for Non-Chinese traveling for short-term purposes such as investment, visiting relatives, tourism, business, seminars. The holder shall not work, study, or engage in news reporting activities with the Permit. 

Q:Where should the applicants go for applications?

A: The applicants should go to the China Travel Service (Holdings) Hong Kong Limited or Hong Kong and China Travel Service (Macao) Ltd. for the first application. For the Permit's renewal, replacement or identity information change, they can also submit applications to the Immigration Bureau in the mainland. 

Q: What is the validity period of the Permit? And the duration of stay?

A: The Permit is valid for 5 years with multiple entries, and the duration of stay is 90 days for each entry.

Q: How long is the processing time of the Permit? 

A: The processing time limit for acceptance, approval and issuance of the Permit is 20 working days.

Q: Can the Permit holders use the fast channel for frontier inspection and customs clearance when entering and exiting China?

A: Yes, the Permit holders can go through customs clearance through fast channels after completing fingerprint collection procedures at ports. In addition, they are not required to fill in the Arrival Card when entering China with the Permit.

Q: Is residence registration still required after each entry with the Permit? 

A: Yes, during their stay in China, the Permit holders shall register for accommodation in accordance with laws. 

  • Our Serivces

  • Work Permit and Residence Permit Application


  • Foreigner Permanent Residence ID Card


  • China Immigration Policy Consulting


  • Office Recommendation


  • WOFE/JV Registration


  • Bookkeeping and Tax Declaration


  • China Tax Policy Consulting


  • M & A